Not everyone likes the texture or taste of okra, but I sure do! 🙂 If you haven’t tried okra before, it is slimy inside and hard on the outside. Okras consist of high amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, vitamin K, and other minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese, and magnesium. So get over the sliminess, cause it is so healthy for you!
- 1 pack okra
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- Wash okras. I leave the head on cause it tastes bitter and all the slim goodness comes out if I cut it off.
- Preheat pan on high heat and add olive oil.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add the okras and fish sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water and cover the pan.
- Once all the water has evaporated, turn off the stove.
- Add the chopped peppers.
There are plenty of ways to cook okra. I chose a simple and no sodium method of cooking it. I replaced the salt with fish sauce, because it has sodium in it and it brings out more flavours. I just wash the okras and cook it the way it is, because if I cut off the head, it becomes bitter and I lose the slimy goodness. I bite the head off when I eat it. I actually save time this way. 🙂 I like to eat this with rice and pork or beef.
Let me know whether you like okras, hate it, or are too scared to try it!