Homademade Natural Toothpaste
I’ve always tried to make healthier food choices by cooking at home, buying organic produce, and eliminating meat and dairy at home. However, I realized the products we use on our skin and body is just as important as what we eat. All the harmful chemicals and toxic ingredients from commercial products get accumulated and absorbed into our bloodstream. I get worried everytime I look at the list of ingredients coming from everyday products we use such as: toothpaste, showergel, shampoo, cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen, etc.
I try to buy “natural” or “organic” products thinking it would solve the problem but most of the time I still find a list of ingredients that I have never heard of. The rule of thumb is, if there are ingredients that sound too scientific and you cannot pronounce it, then its probably a chemical or toxic ingredient that can’t be good for you.
The only way to know exactly what you are putting on your skin is to make your own. It’s on my To Do List to make my own DIY products. I started off with DIY Toothpaste because I’ve been skeptical for the longest time about what is really in many mainstream brands of toothpaste. Go ahead and read the labels of your toothpastes now! Don’t be surprised if you find out your store bought toothpaste contains harmful or toxic ingredients such as:
- Titanium dioxide – possible carcinogen and its added to make toothpaste white
- Triclosan – a pesticide and hormone disruptor
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) – causes canker sores
- Fluoride – toxic if swallowed
- Glycerin – a soap that strips natural oral mucosa
- Artifical colourings – linked to ADHD in children
There are only 2 ingredients necessary in homemade toothpaste:
- Coconut oil – boosts microbiome in your gut and prevents candida in mouth.
- Baking soda – has a pH of 9-11 (alkaline) to help neutralize acids without being too abrasive to teeth.
When I first started using my homemade natural toothpaste, I’ve already noticed that my teeth got whiter within a couple of days. It feels cleaner too! Baking soda makes teeth whiter and gets rid of bad breath! Another method I swear by, which gets rid of bad breath and prevents sore throats is my tongue cleaner! I used to get sore throats a few times a year before I discovered tongue cleaners! The brand I use and highly recommend is Dr Tung’s. (Not sponsored!) It lasts a very long time! I scrape my tongue with it every morning and night after I floss and brush.
I also make my own mouthwash daily! I simply dissolve half a teaspoon of sea salt in luke warm water and swish it in my mouth for 30 seconds every night.
If you follow all these methods, you will have the cleanest, freshest, and most beautiful smile! 🙂
Homademade Natural Toothpaste
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 2 teaspoons peppermint essential oil (optional)
- small glass jar
- Add coconut oil, baking soda, and peppermint oil into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in all the ingredients and stir well.
- Transfer mixture into a small glass jar.
Disclaimer: I’m not a dentist or a doctor, just a health junkie who did a ton of research on health, nutrition, and wellness.