I’ll miss you Summer, but Fall has arrived!!! Fall is my favourite season because why not?! Sweater weather, pretty leaves falling on the ground, and cozy nights at home. To celebrate the new season, I made Caribbean Curry Chicken with Potatoes! The vibrant curry colour reminds me of Fall. My dad is a chef who works at a Caribbean restaurant so he actually taught me how to make this dish. Thanks Dad! 🙂 It is super delicious – I wish you can smell it from wherever you are… He told me the secret to this dish is to add the spices to the onion and garlic to create a strong aroma as opposed to adding the curry powder and spices after the chicken.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 onions
- 4 potatoes
- ¼ cup curry powder
- 1 teaspoon masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 chili pepper (optional, if you like it extra spicy like me!)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a pot over medium heat boil the chopped potatoes for 15 minutes (until soft).
- Season chopped chicken with salt and pepper and leave aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped garlic, onions, curry powder, masala, and coriander powder and mix together for 1 minute.
- Add the diced/blended red bell peppers.
- Strain and rinse the potatoes and add them to the pan.
- Add the chopped chicken.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until chicken is fully cooked, potatoes are soft, and onions & peppers have pretty much dissolved.
Oh, this Caribbean Curry Chicken with potatoes is soooo yummy. I had buns at home so I actually made it into a sandwich, which turned out incredibly good! Kind of like a roti. But this is amazing with rice as well. Remember the secret to this recipe is to add the curry powder and spices before the chicken and potatoes, not during, and not after! It makes a big difference!
HAPPY FIRST DAY OF FALL!
Lisa, this looks so great! I can smell it! Yummm, wow thanks to Dad!! Very nice tips!
Thank you for the nice comment Lyn! Smells good eh? 🙂
oh my so good! I am happy for the tips from you and your dad! We love curry so I will give this one a try!
I love curry too! Definitely give it a try and let me know how it goes! 🙂
Hi saw this recipe and would like to make it. However, in the ingredients you mention curry powder and 1tsp masala. What does your curry powder consist of and what is this masala. can u please elaborate. Thanks
My Jamaican curry powder consists of:
2½ tablespoons ground turmeric
1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons All spice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons dry yellow mustard seeds
2 teaspoons ground fenugreek seeds
1½ teaspoons white or black pepper
1 whole clove
½ teaspoon ground or more (scotch bonnet pepper or cayenne pepper)
Can you suggest buying the Jamaican curry powder premade?
Yes!! That totally works too!!
I’m sorry, “an”. Can you suggest a Jamaican curry seasoning blend.
I think any that you could pick up at a supermarket would work well.