Hi friends! Happy Tuesday!!
I was actually debating for a while, standing at the grocery store deciding whether to add chicken to this dish or not. I never had this problem in the past! I used to automatically add meat to pretty much every meal I make, but recently I’ve reduced my meat intake by A LOT. This is perhaps due to the fact that I’ve been watching too many food documentaries on Netflix and feeling the need to eat healthier. I’m transitioning into eating organics and more raw plant-based food. It has even crossed my mind to become a vegetarian or vegan, but that would mean I’d have to take extra supplements to add iron and B12 to my diet. Which, I’m not sure if it is necessarily healthier to do so… This is why I’m cutting back on consuming too much meat lately. And I’m still not entirely sure whether going organic is the right move, since I’m reading mixed reviews on the topic. What are your thoughts on organic versus conventional food?? Do you think it is worth the price?!
I decided to make Avocado and Arugula Pesto and this was the dish that made me hate my Ninja blender! It was so hard to blend the avocado and arugula! I knew I needed a Vitamix from this day forward! If you don’t have a vitamix, I highly recommend it! It’s so amazing for smoothies, soups, pesto, sauces, powder… and the list goes on! And it even self-cleans! How awesome is that?! I hope you buy one now, there’s a $70 off Mother’s day Sale happening now! Buy one and use it for this recipe! 🙂
Everything I bought here was from Loblaws and it was all organic. I love how much the colours pop and how fresh the dish is!
Avocado and Arugula Pesto Chicken Pasta
Prep Time: 10 m Cook Time: 10 m Yield: 7 servings
- 1 lbs pasta
- 3 avocados, halved, peeled
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 pack fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice (2 limes)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
- Italian parsley (optional)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (on top)
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cajun powder
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Season the sliced chicken breasts with salt, black pepper, and cajun powder. Add olive oil to a pan and cook for 5 minutes, until all the redness is gone. Set aside.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh to a food processor. Add the arugula, basil, lime juice, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Add a bit of almond milk or water if necessary, for a smoother blend.
- Pour the pesto over the pasta and toss together. Add cheese (optional), the chicken, sliced grape tomatoes, and top with parsley if you wish.