My friend, Charles introduced me to the BEST SANDWICH EVER!!! I don’t think I can ever go back to eating another McDonald’s burger (not that I ate there much to begin with). I’m normally not a sandwich person, but this caramelized onion, watercress, streak sandwich blew me away. After my first bite, I knew I had to ask Charles for the recipe. So he came over today and we made it for lunch!
- 1 lb flank skirt steak or bavette
- 3 onions
- 1 cup watercress
- 125 ml red wine vinegar
- 70 g dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut the onions into thin slices (about 2 cm thick).
- Add the butter, 1 teaspoon of oil, and the sugar into a large pan over high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the sliced onions and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the vinegar, cover the pan with the lid, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the onions look like this – golden and caramelized.
5. Season the steak with salt and black pepper.
6. Add olive oil to a large pan and cook the steak over medium heat for about 3 minutes on both sides (more or less depending on how you like your steak).
7. Let the steak cool for 1 minute then cut the steak into 1 cm thick slices.
8. Warm up your bread, place the caramelized onions, the steak slices, and the watercress, and assemble it into a sandwich.
Once again, by the time I was finished taking this photo, Charles has already devoured his sandwich. Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe with me, Charles! It is honestly the best sandwich I’ve ever tasted! 😛