Having a bad day? When I am having a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, I turn to food to cheer me up. In fact, one of my best friends – Charles, came over to share this recipe with me. What a great way to cheer a friend up! This Chorizo Stew is the ultimate comfort food. The incredible colours and flavours will certainly brighten your day. 🙂
- 1 lb chorizo
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 bell red peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1.5 L water or chicken stock
You can use chicken stock powder or the broth, but not both. I used the chicken stock powder therefore, I added 1.5 litres of water, not chicken stock broth. Make sure you chop the ingredients into thin slices to make the cooking process faster. The cornstarch and the potatoes are the ingredients that will help to thicken the stew.
- Over medium-high heat in a large pot, sauté the garlic, onion, and cayenne pepper until golden brown (about 2 minutes).
- Add the chorizo, tomatoes, bell red peppers, potatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine vinegar, fresh thyme leaves and 1.5 litres of water or chicken stock
- Season with salt and black pepper and bring to a boil
- Simmer for about 20 minutes over medium heat or until the potatoes are cooked
Thanks so much for cooking with me, Charles! This goes really well with toasted bread. He couldn’t wait. He already started eating while I was busy taking this photo!